“Organic” has been a hot topic in the food world for years now. Just take a walk through your local grocery store and you’re sure to find tons of products with the word organic printed over the label. But what exactly makes something organic? Organic foods are products that are grown and processed without the aid of artificial fertilizer, chemicals, pesticides, antibiotics, or growth stimulants. All sorts of items can be considered organic if they meet the USDA’s required standards, like produce, meat, and even coffee! One of the reasons why eating organic has been so popularized is because consuming organic products offers many benefits, both for personal health and the environment. That’s why at Dogtown Coffee, all of our coffee beans, including our coffee subscription, are organic and locally grown so we can proudly serve you exceptional coffee that not only tastes delicious but is also good for both you and the Santa Monica community.
Want to know more about why you should make the switch to organic? Here are some of the best benefits you can reap just by drinking a delicious cup of coffee that was grown naturally:
- Organic coffee contains more nutrients per serving- Since organic coffee is grown without synthetic chemicals, the beans are able to retain more minerals and vitamins in comparison to non-organic coffee beans. Coffee already contains various essential nutrients, like riboflavin, potassium, magnesium, and niacin, but the additional amount from organic beans can help you increase your daily intake.
- There is a decreased health risk associated with organic coffee- Often, when a crop is grown using inorganic farming methods, the crop can actually absorb the chemicals itself. Because of this, there is a chance you may also ingest these dangerous substances, leading to the possibility of health issues. Fortunately, this issue doesn’t exist with organic coffee since pesticides, chemicals, and artificial fertilizers aren’t used.
- Organic farming keeps farmers safe- Chemicals can also put farmers’ health at risk since they work so closely with crops. However, organic coffee production like our own Dogtown blends put the health and safety of Santa Monica farmers first, since they don’t come into contact with such harsh materials.
- Organic farming is better for the community- Inorganic farming methods and chemicals don’t just impact the crops, it also depletes the surrounding soil of its nutrients and contaminates the water. However, at Dogtown, our coffee is cultivated locally using organic farming methods, meaning our beans are grown in a way that doesn’t harm Santa Monica’s natural resources.
- Organic coffee farms are more sustainable- In most cases, organic farms are 100% committed to being completely eco-friendly. This means using renewable energy and other sustainable practices. This helps to limit carbon emissions and pollution in order to help protect the Earth and preserve the natural environment.
As you can see, there is great value in drinking organic coffee. It not only promotes a better well being for yourself, but it also keeps farmers safe and protects your community. If you’re interested in trying organic coffee, sign up for our coffee subscription today.